Friday, January 6, 2012

Do you have what it takes?

According to SDCCD I do.  I scored a 45 out of ?? and was given a message indicating that I was prepared for online courses.  I feel pretty comfortable with the technology and am pretty confident that I'm proactive, independent, and determined enough.  I was worried that online courses would feel isolating, but so far that's not the case at all.  (I spent two years writing a dissertation and already feel less isolated - and have gotten feedback much more promptly -  than I did during that entire process and the semester hasn't even officially started yet). 

I'll be curious to see how group work feels.  I think having watched the two presentations (especially Dr. Haycock's) should help us all.  Now we can identify when we're in the forming and storming stages and try to skip to the performing.  (The whole online element should help too.  Not being able to comment on our ironic T-Shirt designs and recent hairstyles - it was haircut day for me today - should cut down a little on the lengthy forming/storming stages).  What are your fears about distance learning?  Do you fear isolation or difficulty collaborating?  What are some early guidelines you want to throw down for your first group?  Plentiful Coke Zero and the Replacement's Let it Be blasting in the background?  Or are you more of a Smiths fan?

I've already started a folder on my desktop for LIBR 203 with subfolders for each unit.  I think knowing that having our files cleanly organized will help us create the final portfolio was a really good motivator for setting up a clean organization system.  I'm not much of a calendar person by nature; I usually just go where my wife tells me to (occasionally with good humored color commentary), so I'll see if I can make that adjustment.  I think I may be well suited to courses like this, where everything is laid out and I can work at my own breakneck pace.  Please tell me there are one or two other courses like this out there?

1 comment:

  1. One fear I have of distance learning is the lack of human contact. I always went to a physical school before and I liked knowing I'll be meeting my professors and classmates in the flesh. That's one thing I know I'll have to let go now that everything is online.

    ReplyDelete